Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Wonderful Surprise To End A Wonderful Day

My daughter turned 8 today.  I have been stressing over it for about two weeks.  I really wanted to give her the best party she has ever had.


I baked cherry flavored cupcakes and then made a full hearted attempt at decorating them.  In my head, I envisioned beautifully iced cakes all pretty and pink.  The kind you see in magazines or on Martha Stewart.  I bought a 3 tiered cupcake stand, an icing kit and confetti sprinkles.  Please keep in mind that I am not the most "domestic" of moms.  I really want to be though!  I was happy with the finished result.  The cupcakes were pretty and they were pink.  I honestly didn't mean for them to turn out looking like they have nipples.  Hopefully, I'm the only one who noticed!  They won't be in the next issue of Good Housekeeping but...not too awful for my first baking session in 15 years!  More importantly, I really, really enjoyed myself

We planned a "movie theater" theme complete with a projector, screen and authentic movie theater popcorn.

The kids had a blast!  I heard a little girl say that it was the best birthday party she had ever attended.  When my daughter politely said "thank you" the girl exclaimed "no really, I mean the best"!

I was over the moon.

The second wave of the party began within an hour of the first.  This one was for friends and family.

I served an array of hors d'oeuvres, a meat tray with a large assortment of buns, the usual veggie and fruit trays and a delicious spinach, artichoke and cheese dip with pita bread triangles.  My mother made her famous money cake.  It contained $8.00 in loonies and toonies.  Don't worry, she cleans the coins really well and  wraps them in wax paper.  It's all very hygienic and everyone loves it!  The Coronas were free flowing, the children consumed waay too much sugar, there was tissue paper everywhere.  It was messy...and wonderful.  I loved every moment.

At the end of the night, after cleaning and putting everyone to bed, I decided to upload my photos from the day.  I uploaded them to Facebook and when I was finished, decided to make a quick visit to Bloggerville.

This is how I came to discover the wonderful surprise which awaited me.


My FIRST blog award!

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to receive one of these lovely little gems.  There are so many fabulous blogs out there.  How could someone think that mine was one of them?  I am honored and blown away by all of this!  Thank you Jen, of "Starting Over" for including me as one of your 5 faves.  I am speechless...and if you ask the people I'm close with, that's nearly impossible!  Your comments always cheer me up and it's nice to know that someone out there is listening to all of my blethering and whining!

So, now it's my turn.  I must pass this award forward, to five more wonderful people.  This is harder than I thought it would be.  Especially because my irrational thoughts (due to BPD)  are telling me that people will be angry or even hurt, if I don't choose them.  This is actually turning out to be quite therapeutic!  I am going to use my DBT skills I have been learning.  In particular, the one called "opposite action".  Normally I would put this off until I drove myself totally CrAzY!  Not tonight.  Tonight, I am going to choose with no regrets!  I love you all but I can only choose five.  Here they are!

f8hasit
You simply must visit this blog.  She is able to take every day life situations and retell them in such a way that you cannot stop reading!  My fave is only pie, and nevermore....  I read it three times:)


365 Days of People
He has vowed to write everyday for 365 days.  He is currently on day 112.  All though he has to write on command, he certainly keeps it fresh and whitty.  Always!


Crazy People I've Worked With
Anita posts people's hilarious stories about strange and whacky people they have worked with.  This blog always makes me smile and I love, love, love Anita's dry sense of humor!  Her comments on each story are always filled with fabulous sarcasim.


Ride My Mind
Wonderfully written.  This "blog about nothing" is really something!  His most recent post, "Haunted By The Holiday Spirit" really tugged at my heart strings.


Nat The Fat Rat
Charming!  She lets you into her life and shares it all.  It's like you really know her.  She becomes your "bestie"!

So that's it then.  I could have gone on and on about so many more blogs but I stubbornly narrowed it down to five.  Thanks all, for your wonderful words:)

13 comments:

Jen said...

See, we are the same...sort of...I thought the same thing...people will be disappointed...or worse - they'll think "why does she think I need an award from her?"...

I'm glad you gave it to Ride My Mind. If I had 6, he'd have gotten it from me.

You have a great blog and you deserve it.

John said...

Thank you very much for this award. I hope that putting my blog in the same class as the other 4 wont damage their stock value. Those are some writers with a lot of talent. Very much appreciated and thanks again. It really means a lot.

Anita Bier said...

Thanks so much for the kind words!

I really appreciate it.

Great blog!

Blissseeker said...

@Jen agreed! I am worried about that too! Will the excellent writers I selected think "why does she think I need an award from her?"... Well guess what? I just keep telling myself that I received this award from an entertaining blogger so...maybe I DO deserve to pass it on:)

@John You absolutely deserve it! I'm looking forward to that book;)

@Anita Keep on making me laugh! Your blog theme is fantastic and original!

Question. Is it blogger faux pas to use emoticons? I just love those smiley little faces:s

Kate said...

Hi! Just read your comment on my blog. Thanks for stopping by and becoming a follower. I've enjoyed reading your blog - nice baking by the way!!

Natalie said...

Thanks for the award!! You are too sweet! xoxo Natalie

Blissseeker said...

@Kate thanks;) they were even edible!

@NatTheFatRat you totally deserve it!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful birthday story, and congrats on the award. Two thumbs up for you!! I am very happy for you xx
Alix

Blissseeker said...

@Alix My goodness, thank you! I don't think I've ever had so many comments on one post:)

Anonymous said...

Blissseeker, another comment...are you a fan of Facebook or other social networking venues? There is a new one geared specifically towards those of us dealing with mental health issues. I joined it the other day and think it will be a useful source of information. atorturedsoul sent me the link, so I am sending on your way. Check it out:
http://mentalhealthsocial.com

Blissseeker said...

Thanks Alix, I'll check it out!

UberGrumpy said...

Ace nipple cakes. I look forward to the banana split

Blissseeker said...

@UberGrumpy SEE!!! That comment is the reason I follow you!!!!

Post a Comment

 
Rider Of The Storm. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino